Despite the best efforts, you may lose your teeth for varied reasons, including tooth decay, cavities and injury. The next step is to get replacement teeth, and for that, you have three broad choices – dentures, bridges and implants. In today’s times, nothing works better than dental implants. So, what are implants? Should you consider this kind of treatment? We have seven facts to sort things for you.
- Implants are replacement tooth roots, which are made of titanium. These are fused to the jawbone and work like a base for false tooth. Since these are artificial, there’s no chance of further tooth decay or cavity. No wonder, dental implants last a lifetime for most patients.
- The procedure of getting an implant is pretty simple. You need to find a centre d’implants dentaires, where the dentist will check your gums and overall oral health and take a call. Dental implants work for most people, except in case of chronic diseases, where additional consideration is needed.
- It’s safe to get dental implants. There’s no heavy pain or discomfort associated with the procedure. If you know the pain of tooth extraction, then a dental implant will feel much easier. Typically, the procedure is completed under local anesthesia.
- The cost of implants is not covered under insurance, at least in majority of cases. If you are still considering the same, you can talk to your dentist and insurance provider, who may have a plan for you, depending on the cause of loosing tooth/teeth.
- Dental implants need some recovery time. In most cases, the dentist will ask you to wait for around six to twelve weeks, before the gums and muscles around the implant heals. You may need to wait longer, if you have chronic issues.
- There’s no fixed age of getting dental implants. No matter how old you are, you can get an implant, unless and until the dentist has any reason or fact of concern. These are safe and can be done in a day.
- Like most procedures, the success of dental implants is dependent on the doctor/dentist you choose. Make sure that you select a clinic that’s well known in the local area. As required, you can choose to get recommendations from friends and family members. Since you need to see the dentist a couple of times or even more, choosing a clinic close to your work or home is a good idea.
Check online now to find dentists for discussing implants.