A vast majority of the current age jobs require a person to sit in the same place for long hours. Though some corporates are working hard to find out healthier alternatives, it is far from being the norm. Couple it with the regular consumption of not so healthy food and lack of proper exercises.
It is a perfect recipe for disaster. If now today, maybe a couple of years down the line. While adapting to a healthy lifestyle should be your primary focus, buying a health insurance should not be far behind.
We are well accustomed to these habits and it is going to take some efforts to negate the effects. However, that your efforts do not buy your immunity against any health related issues. But a health insurance does.
Thus, it is of utmost importance that one must buy a health insurance. It can save you from hefty medical bills, some might even provide regular medical check-ups and of course ensure that you or your family members get the best medical attention.
Here are some critical reasons as to why one must have a health insurance plan.
- Lack of a health insurance might prevent you from the best possible treatment. The primary reason for the same is lack of enough funds.
- A medical treatment can take only a few days of time to deplete most of your savings.
- You and your family members get a protection against unforeseen medical conditions.
- People who do not have regular medical check-ups are more prone to health issues.
Buying a health insurance plan covers all of the above points. A health insurance plan primary ensures that you can focus on getting the finest treatment available for your loved ones without having to worry about the finances.
Main Coverage by a Health Insurance
The following are some of the main coverage areas when it comes to a health insurance plan. Do note, that the actual coverage might differ from insurer to insurer. But some of the core coverage remains the same.
- A health plan covers medical expenses related to hospitalisation of a patient for more than 24 hours including doctor’s fees, nurse charges, medicine bills, room rent etc.
- A health plan usually covers for most of the expenses related to 60 days of pre-hospitalisation and 90 days of post-hospitalisation.
- Some of the health insurance plans cover day care expenses for treatment which do not require admission for more than 24 hours.
- A health insurance provides you with cashless services across its network hospitals. An insurer with a large network is preferable.
- Most of the health insurance plans will offer you a free look in period of 15 days. If you are not happy with the policy, you can choose to cancel the same within this duration without losing any of your paid premium amount.
- Some insurers offer free health check-up for their policy holders if they continue with the policy for a minimum of two or three years.
- Some of the health insurance plans let you restore the sum insured of the policy on payment of marginal premiums. This ensures that other members or some other treatment is not ignored due to lack of funds.
- All the premium that you pay for a health insurance policy is tax deductible under Section 80D and Section 80DDof the Income Tax Act, 1961. You can avail deductions up to a maximum of INR 1, 00,000 per financial year.
- There is a steadily growing demand for AYUSH treatments, referring to Ayurveda, Siddha, Homeopathy, Unani etc. Some insurers cover those treatments as well.
Different Covers and Benefits of Health Insurance
There are a few interesting covers and benefits of buying a health insurance plan. Here are some of them.
- Lifelong Renewal
Some of the insurers offer you the ability to renew their policy until you reach a certain age. That certain age can be as high as 70-80 years. As it gets difficult to get a health plan later, such benefits are definitely welcome.
A few of the insurers let you add top-ups on your existing policies. The best example to demonstrate this feature is your marriage. Post your marriage, you might feel the cover is just not enough. You can opt for a top-up and enhance the coverage/sum insured of your policy.
- Attendant Allowance
Apart from the normal medical expenses, a few of the insurers understand the plight of the family of the patients. Thus, they offer a daily attendant allowance, which does not require any documents.
A modern day comprehensive health insurance plan covers a lot more than what one can imagine. Buying a health insurance plan will provide you with peace of mind.